Sunday, June 8, 2008

Living in Amish Country

In the area where I live there are Amish communities nearby. I don't see many families traveling by horse and buggy around town (although I did see a buggy with horse tied up in front of the local Family Dollar store once) . I've seen Amish shopping at Walmart, using the Public Library, and eating at restaurants.

Known for their craftsmanship and bakeries Miller's Bakery and Furniture and Keim Family Market are two nearby popular stores for locals and tourists.

I continue to learn about the Amish and so when a book caught my eye at the library the other day I checked it out and read it. Crossing Over; One Woman's Exodus from Amish Life by Ruth Irene Garrett with Rick Farrant. I found it interesting and informative to read this account from her point of view of her life as Amish and her decision to leave.

No comments: