Monday, December 15, 2008

Have you heard about the book, "The Necklace"?

The Necklace: Thirteen Women and the Experiment That Transformed Their Lives. is the true story of thirteen women from southern California who go in on ONE diamond necklace they named "Jewelia" and how they share it amongst themselves and others, where they wear it, how they use it for philanthropic purposes and most interesting to me is how they come to agreement regarding the "guidelines for using/lending etc.".

It is fascinating to me how 13 women can come to agreement, go back and read that again, I said agreement without it being a unanimous group decision. It's a good example of letting go of one's point of view and beliefs.

I can share from personal experience the amazing power a piece of fine jewelry can have. A number of years ago I was attending a workshop for women in Northern California and one of the participants designed and sold jewelry items that were worth thousands of dollars.

She happened to have a necklace with her that she had just finished which if I recall correctly she was going to sell for around $7500. She was gracious to let each of us try it on. What I remember about the experience was that the necklace (made out of precious stones) looked different on each woman that tried it on and each woman who tried it on looked different while wearing it. And it felt different than any other piece of jewelry I've ever wore, maybe it was because of the value, I don't know but it was an experience I'll always remember.

So get the book and read how one woman, convinced 12 other woman to go in on a piece of jewelry and how that rippled out touching hundreds and thousands of lives in the process.

Jill

No comments: