Saturday, December 13, 2008

This American Life

A few years back I stumbled onto Chicago Public Radio's This American Life radio program by Ira Glass which tells the most amazing stories of ordinary people. I can't tell you how many times I sat in my car to hear the entire story although I was at my destination. Now it is available for FREE as a podcast from iTunes (usually ranked #1) so I keep up with it at my convenience.

In 2007 they created a television version of the radio show which is broadcast on Showtime. Since I don't subscribe to Showtime I wasn't able to view it, until now with it being released on DVD. So I wanted to share this great news so that you too can now own and watch This American Life - Season One without being a subscriber to Showtime.

Three particular segments that I liked were the story about a famous tame Brahma bull named Chance (who appeared on Letterman and elsewhere) that was cloned, and the clone was named (no kidding) Second Chance. One was about genetically modified pig farms that was very enlightening. And one was about a Mormon painter who goes in search of men with beards in Utah to use as models for his paintings about Jesus.

Besides it was just fun getting to see what Ira Glass looks like after listening to his voice all these years.

Highly recommend both the radio and the television show.

Jill

No comments: